Saturday, August 12, 2017

Run Across the Desert

Well, this is totally weird, last night the humans started putting things in bags. They then went to bed differently than usual. In the middle of the night, the house alarm went off. They fiddled with the battery after talking on the phone. I went back to sleep. The male human must have gotten up early, he woke the female human and me a little later than usual. They packed the car and then the male human drove away in the other car. What is going on here? He came back a little later and replaced the battery in the alarm panel. We then finished packing the car and drove off down the street. We drove for a long time through the highways of Los Angeles. It was really hot and they used the air conditioning. I watched out the window for a long time. 



I must have fallen asleep. When I woke, we stopped at a park in Barstow and had a picnic. I loved that. They have a special water bottle just for me. We had fried chicken, bits of steak, pasta salad and tomato / mozzarella salad. Yummy! It was so hot though. The male human (I sometimes call him Papa), said it was 100 degrees. Thats a lot hotter than the beach. The humans were very careful to see that I didn't burn my feet on the pavement. We got back in the car and drove some more. We stopped in the middle of a desert named Mojave. There were no trees there, just short scrubby bushes. There were real old mountains in the distance and the soiled was dried and hard. Papa said it was 115 degrees now. Yikes! That is too hot. This is not like my beach at all.



We drove through another city called Las Vegas. We stopped for gas and a cold drink. We got back in the car and drove some more. I don't understand this driving thing. Why can't we just be there? We started going up and down some hills. We could see thunder clouds building over the mountains. The scenery got prettier. We went through this wonderful cut called Virgin River Canyon. The walls were really close sometimes. But it was really pretty and it started cooling down. Papa stopped the car and let me out to explore. It was really cool with lots of good critter smells. That was a lot of fun. The female human was playing paparazzi and took some pictures of me and the really cool rocks. The cliffs had red, yellow, tan, grey and purple striations in them. They were too steep for me to climb. I marked them just the same.



We got back in the car and went to a town called St. George. We checked into a place with lots of bedrooms and other families. Our room had a bed just for me. How cool is that! We went to another restaurant where we could all eat outside. I had a cheeseburger! My favorite! The humans watched the lightning in the clouds. It started to rain and lightening more. Under the eaves, we all stayed dry but watched the storm while we ate. This was very cool! We watched humans scramble across parking lots in the rain. The lightning made silhouettes of the mountains in the distance. Another outstanding sight. We went back to the place with all the bedrooms and I fell asleep full of good food, good adventure and with my pack. All is right with the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment