Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Long Day

The last few days were filled by running around. I needed a rest. The humans packed the car and early the next morning, we all got in and away we went. We drove and drove back across the prairie towards the mountains and presumably, home. The male human drove the morning before switching drivers. The male human was pretty quiet. He had fought with his father the day before. When he is quiet like that, I know I need to take care of him. It was hard to do that in the car. I slept all morning in the back seat. It wasn't as hot as the last few days coming out. 



We stopped at a rest stop where the long grass prairie changed to short grass prairie. When settlers first came out here they thought this the Great American Desert. My humans told me to look for jackalopes, but I didn't see any. We crossed into Colorado and I saw these steel shapes of buffalo at a rest stop, We drove and drove, as I watched the grasslands with ever fewer trees, all stunted by the Southern wind. Every so often, we'd see a grain elevator standing proud of the prairie. I think they should be painted like a box of crayons. The prairie evolved to low rolling hills of brush. Still no jackalope.


We passed Greenland, The Black Forest, North Pole and Cascades. Who knew we could travel so widely in our car? It started to rain and the air cooled from 93 degrees to 60. We checked into the hotel and the male human took me for a long walk. I sniffed and marked to make up for the long ride. I saw two bunnies as well. I miss Belle's magical squirrel porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment